The last few weeks, I made some changes to this site.
Up the Price
I increased the prices on my $7.99 books to $9.99. This was after listening to Chris Lema talk about values and prices, Andrew Norcross about who you’re developing for, and watching my percentages take a hit from the EU. I also removed the discounts no one used.
Doing this has had no negative impact on sales. The trendlines are the same, which is nice.
Tweak the Site
I made a design shift to use StudioPress’ Author Pro theme because they wrote it for books. One of the things I liked about it was there was a ‘floating’ sticky menu bar. With a little CSS, I was able to put my shopping cart on that bar so when you scroll up there’s a standout blue button to tell you that your cart is empty.
When I did that, I also cleaned up the button output:
Now you have the options right there and they’re not hardcoded into the post content but coded properly into the theme. This did mean I forked the theme in order to connect it to EDD, as StudioPress suggest you use the Author Pro Plugin to handle your lists and I have a self-contained store.
It’s been a week, traffic is up ~5% (which may have more to do with me speaking at a WordCamp), and sales are the same as they’ve been.